Monday, July 8, 2013

Back in Blacksburg: Summer part 2

I was going to post a race report from Pocatello 50, but I was traveling around after and generally being super lazy (as usual over the summer). Basically my race went exactly as planned... until mile 17, and then I died a slow, long, painful death multiple times until mile 32 when some awesome runner gave me pepto pills at the aid station, I had been trying to calm my stomach down for a long time, nothing really worked. Then my legs felt shot, so I took some advil and felt great for the last 10 miles. Finished in 12:58, by far longest, and hardest race I've ever done. Didn't really want to stay around in the mountains afterwards so I headed home the next day, stopping in Colorado Springs and Guadalupe Mountains National Park, and stayed home for about a week and headed back to Blacksburg.

While back home I finally bought a road bike (I've always wanted to) and just today took it on my first real ride around in Blacksburg. It's a really good way to get an exercise in when I don't feel to great about running, mainly after a big mileage day.

Anyways, since I've been back I have done one real long run with Guy on Craigs creek going south, which I ran out of water which reminded me that summer is HOT. Besides that humbling experience I've been doing a couple of runs up craigs creek, both north and south on the AT. I really like the 3-4 mile or longer climbs that I got used to in Colorado. These extended climbs have really increased my ability to run uphill efficiently, so faster and easier, a win win. Unfortunately, I still suck at hiking, I'll have to work on that for Mountain Masochist, but I'm definitely trying to do more extended climbs and descents to work on getting better. My next race is Iron Mountain 30 which i'll be trying to race fast and not really use as a training run for my next race after Mountain Masochist 50, because I never really got to race at Pocatello. I'll also try to blog more,maybe once a week, I feel like I miss a lot of stuff because I never really get around to posting things.


I'm going to post some things that I see around the web that I can share to people. I don't really like using facebook or twitter for this type of thing I guess.

Music
Shakey Graves: one man band from Austin, love his unique style of music, reminds me of home, also plays killer live. He plays a couple of different styles sometimes it seems like, this was the first song I heard from him, Roll the bones.

I really like this song as well
I can't post my favorite video of him for whatever reason so i'll just post the link here,

Random Awesome Videos
I can't embed this video either but it's Mt Marathon that happened this last weekend which shows how awesome and gnarly this trail race is. Video here

On the topic on awesome gnarly trail here's Anton doing his thing, I think pretty much everyone that runs trails has seen this but it's worth showing again, cause well, its awesome.

Also you can see photo's when I was in Colorado and Idaho on my facebook here. I don't have anything else to post for now but I'm really going to try to keep this blog more up to date because I'm sure I missed like a million things already.

No comments:

Post a Comment